Drive your own rail cart on the historic Taneatua branch line over bridges, walk through pristine native bush and view beautiful farmland.
Your Whakatane adventure starts from Awakeri travelling at a leisurely 25 kilometers per hour with family and friends along this historic railway line. There are 4 bridges, numerous cuttings and bush scenes along the track.
Awakeri Rail Adventures offers three types of tours:
- The first is an “Express Run” where you will drive over 20km of track, with 2 stops en route. The Express Run takes approx 2 hours (commences 8am daily operates summer & day light saving months only).
- The second option is the “Bush Walk / Snack Run” where you will be guided on a bush walk, stop for a relaxing track side snack and other activities and still drive over the 20km of track. This trip will take approx 2.5 hours.(operates every day summer and winter)
- The third option is the Chicken run – travel 10 km of track and help feed the chickens and other birds (the chicken run is by arrangement only).
Bookings are essential
Motorhomes! We are a park over property so come and stay for free!
Choose from one of the following rail adventures:
Summer Hours (day light saving months)
Express run 8am-10:30am, Bush walk & snack run 10:30am-2pm & 2pm -5.30pm
Winter Hours (non day light saving months)
Bush walk and snack run 9am-12:30pm & 12:30pm-4pm
- Express Run, Bushwalk & Snack Run – $90.00 adult, $75 senior, $40 child
- Group booking (10 or more) – $70.00 pp
- Family Pass – $190 2 Adults 2-3 Children
- The Chicken Run – $50 adult $10 child