Thornton Beach family camping the way it used to be!
If you’re seeking a slightly unconventional getaway, yet still want the convenience of being within 5 minutes of charming country cafes and shopping, consider booking a holiday with us. Discover our award-winning hospitality firsthand.
Thornton Beach is situated between Whakatane and Matata in the Bay of Plenty. We are closer than Ohope for many visitors and offer a New Zealand beach holiday with heaps of fun for the whole family.
We have many beachside campsites available and various types of accommodation to suit all needs and budgets.
The views from our Holiday Park are spectacular Whale Island is in front of you and New Zealand’s only live marine volcano White Island can be seen in the distance. The ocean beach stretches out at the parks doorstep and the Rangitaiki River is also metres away.
Thornton Beach is a fisherman’s haven. Land based anglers can surf cast towards Whale Island, or you can launch the boat at the boat ramp which is only 200m from the park and head out to sea.
Thornton Beach Holiday Park Facilities
We have a well designed ablution block, bouncy pillow, highspeed Internet access and a wireless hotspot are some of the facilities within the park. However, it’s also the facilities and activities within a short distance which makes us unique.
Thornton Beach has heaps of space to build huge sand castles and offers safe swimming for the kids. The lagoon is excellent for the youngest campers and there are surf lifesavers keeping an eye out on the beach in the summer period.
- Jumping Pillow – A Large Jumping Pillow sits beside our recreational area.
- Berg Go-Karts – We have Berg Go-Karts on site to keep kids of all ages busy and entertained! These karts are fun & fitness in one. The seats move forward & back to suit many different sizes
- River Mouth Fishing for Kahawai – We are the ‘Kahawai Capital of the World’. At certain times of the year Kahawai will run the river in hundreds chasing bait fish. Call us to find out when they are running and experience something very special.
- Patrolled Beach – During the summer holidays we have a patrolled and flagged beach area near the camping ground.
- Kayak & SUP Rental Available
- Safe Swimming Area – Just inside the mouth of the Thornton River is a beach with fresh water safe for swimming.
- Public Playground – Next door to the Holiday Park is a nice playground.
- Boat Ramp – 200m from the park entrance is the Thornton Boat Ramp. Launch your boat here and go fishing for Snapper.
- Wharf Fishing – Take kids fishing at the Wharf. Mullett, Herring and now and again Kahawai.
Our modern clean & very practical ablution blocks are built with families in mind.
- Three family size showers here that will make it easy for parents to take their kids into the shower.
- Baby baths and a changing table are free for you to use.
- High-speed Internet access, and a communal kitchen with cooktops, microwaves, fridge/freezers, coin operated laundry facilities with washing machines, dryers and laundry tubs
- Large undercover outdoor BBQ area with lots of room for Al fresco dining. Cook your ‘Catch of the Day’.
- Electric BBQ’s
Accommodation options at Thornton Beach Holiday Park
Camping & Caravan Sites – If you enjoy camping, you’ll love staying with us! There are so many great spots at Thornton Beach Holiday Park to set up your tent or park your motor home. Wake up to the sound of the waves rolling on to the shore.
Standard Cabins – They are simple but comfortable, with plenty of sleeping space comprising a queen-size bed and a bunk bed in the same room. The Standard Cabin sleeps up to 4 people.
Tourist Flats – The recently renovated, self-contained Tourist Flats have 2 bedrooms and an open space lounge/kitchen/dining area for you to use. The furniture and beds are excellent quality, you will find comfort and everything you need for an enjoyable stay.
Park Motel Units – Our comfortable and spacious 2-storey, 2 bedroom Park Motel is a fantastic choice of accommodation for a great beach holiday with the family. There is a nice deck in front of the Park Motel that faces the ocean for you to relax with some drinks and nibbles. Outdoor furniture is provided. There is a modern, spacious bathroom with a great shower for you to enjoy. The unit is self contained and has full kitchen facilities. Enjoy comfort, convenience and that little bit of extra luxury!