Taupo Scenic Flights by Floatplane
Enjoy a unique flightseeing experience over Tongariro National Park, the Bay of Plenty and, of course, Great Lake Taupo!
Scenic flights by seaplane are a magical way of gaining a true perspective of one of NZ’s most scenic regions.
Get on board our high-wing Cessna 206 seaplane for a Bay of Plenty/Taupo scenic flight you won’t forget: experience your take-off (and landing) from the water, then enjoy unrestricted views, looking down on sparkling lakes, snow-capped mountains and volcanoes, geothermal wonders, rolling surf beaches and lush forest.
Check out our scheduled scenic flights, or book one of our packaged combos.
In the summer our scenic flights operate daily (except Christmas Day) from 8:30am until 5.30pm (twilight flights available for advanced bookings only!), weather-permitting.
Our winter flightseeing schedule runs from 9:00am, weather-permitting.
Taupo’s Floatplane is one of the top things to do in Taupo.
Taupo Package Deals
Taupo Trifecta (Minimum of 2 adults, Allow 3 hours, 15 minutes. Age restrictions apply )
- Orakei Korako
- Jet Boat
Take off from the Taupo bay tracking North over the Boat Harbour and past the Craters of the Moon. Fly over farmland and forests, over hills that were once active volcanoes before descending into the Hidden Valley of Orakei Korako.
Landing on the Waikato River we tie up to a floating jetty. After walking around this geothermal paradise for approximately one hour, board the black jet boat of New Zealand RiverJet. Travel through canyons and scenery otherwise inaccessible and experience the famous jet boat spin. At the end of your jet boat journey you will be met by your floatplane for your scenic return flight.
Fly ‘n Raft (flight time 6 hours)
Scenic Flight & Whitewater Rafting Experience
Feeling a bit more adventurous? Jump aboard Taupo’s Floatplane flying the length of Lake Taupo, marveling at the immense size of New Zealand’s largest lake. Landing at the southern end and leaving you in the hands of Tongariro’s most experienced white water rafting operator to guide you down the rapids of the Tongariro River. This two and a half hour rafting experience takes you to some of the most untouched scenery in New Zealand, inaccessible by any other means.
This trip caters for both experienced and novice rafters. Bookings are essential and departs from Taupo’s Floatplane office: Summer 1:15pm and Winter 11:20am. A courtesy van will return you to Taupo.
Thinking of something different to celebrate a special occasion? How about a unique marriage proposal or wedding transportation? Interestingly enough Taupo’s Floatplane has had these requests in the past and have had the pleasure of being a part of many special events.
Please contact us to discuss some options as to what special surprise you have in mind and Taupo’s Floatplane can help with the arrangements.
So far there have been numerous marriage proposals, romantic secluded picnics on the lake, transportation of the bride to the wedding venue, and birthday surprises just to name a few happy and memorable occasions.
Taupo’s Floatplane offers a range of scenic flights over various points of interest around the vibrant Taupo and National Park region. Please see the various packages available where you can include activities and attractions to your scenic flight and truly experience all that Taupo has to offer.
Taupo’s Floatplane can even drop you and your partner off on a secluded beach for an hour or two of hiking, beach combing or simply just relaxing. Don’t forget those special occasions either – there have been spectacular marriage proposals using Taupo’s Floatplane services!!
Turangi pick ups – Turangi clients requiring pick up by Floatplane at the southern end of the lake (for the Mt Ruapehu Vista Flight): we require a minimum of three fares. Flights will depart from the Motuoapa Marina or Braxmere Lodge (weather dependant) and the flight time is approximately 45 minutes.
- A Taste of Taupo – Includes a take off from Taupo Bay, turning over Acacia Bay to the headwaters of the Waikato River to the Craters of the Moon. Then over the Borefields of the Wairakei Power station, following the maze of pipe work to the power station itself, followed by a circuit of the Huka Falls, over Taupo to land on the lakefront (flight time aprox 10 mins).
- A Peek at The Lake – Take off from the waters of Taupo Bay, past Acacia Bay to Rangatira Point viewing the crystal clear waters of Whakaipo and Mine Bay. Fly up through the Mapara Valley to view red scoria quarries before passing over the headwaters of the mighty Waikato River. See the bubbling mud and steaming vents of the mysterious “Craters of the Moon” thermal area and onto the bore fields of the Wairakei Power station, following the maze of pipe work to the power station. The finale – an aerial circuit of the magnificent Huka Falls, over Taupo’s town, and coming in to land along Taupo’s lakefront (flight time aprox 20 mins).
- Western Bay Explorer – There is no faster or better way to explore New Zealand’s largest Lake. This trip takes you to the most secluded and picturesque part of Lake Taupo, otherwise inaccessible by car. Be amazed by the crystal clear water and towering volcanic cliffs of the western Bays. Before flying back to Taupo via the Wairakei steam field and Huka Falls. A minimum of two adult fares are required (flight time: 30 minutes).
- Orakei Korako – Take off from Taupo Bay, past Acacia Bay, Rangatira Point, viewing the crystal clear waters of Whakaipo Bay. Turning North fly past the Craters of the Moon, over farmland and forests, through hills that were once active volcanoes, before commencing our descent into the Hidden Valley of Orakei Korako. Landing on the Waikato River we tie up to a floating jetty. A walk through this geothermal paradise takes approximately one hour. On the return flight view the Huka Falls and the town before landing along the lakefront. Allow 2 Hours 15min. (Flight time 30 minutes Approx.).
- Mt Ruapehu Scenic – Departing from Taupo Bay, we head south to overfly Turangi, Mount Pihanga, Lake Rotoaira, the Blue and Emerald Lakes and the Tama Lakes to the summit of Mount Ruapehu. A circuit of the summit allows you to view the Crater Lake and the ski fields on the slopes of Mount Ruapehu. Continuing our journey, now northward, we travel to Mount Ngauruhoe to view the centre of this classic volcano. We fly over Mount Tongariro to view the Red Crater, the Blue Lake and old lava flows before we begin our descent over Lake Taupo to land along the lakefront (flight time aprox 60 mins).
- Lakes of Rotorua – Head North towards the lakes of Rotorua, overflying the Green and Blue Lakes, buried village and Lake Tarawera before climbing to the summit of Mount Tarawera viewing the massive fissure formed during the 1886 eruption. On the way home wonder at the sacred waters of Wai-O-Tapu and Orakei Korako geothermal areas. We offer you the option of a landing to take a walk around the silica terraces, steaming geysers and boiling mud pools of Orakei Korako before continuing back to Taupo.
- White Island – Taupo’s Floatplane “White Island” scenic flight departs from the shores of Taupo flying over the Ohaaki Power Station to Mount Tarawera exploring the gapping gash left by the eruption in 1886 killing 108 people. The flight then continues past Mt Edgecumbe out over the coast of the Bay of Plenty region to New Zealand’s most active volcano – White Island. The flight then returns via the lakes of Rotorua and its city. Fly over the hidden valley of Orakei Korako with the option of landing here for a one hour walk through this geothermal paradise (extra $105.00 p.p.), before returning via the steamy “Craters of the Moon” geothermal area and Huka Falls to land along the Taupo Lakefront (Flight time: 2 hours)
MINIMUM OF 2 ADULT FARES ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL FLIGHTS – CHILDREN 3-15 YEARS OF AGE ARE HALF PRICE – 3 YEARS AND UNDER ARE FREE – ALL FLIGHTS ARE WEATHER DEPENDENT – BOOKING IS RECOMMENDED
Taupo Air Taxi
Taupo’s Floatplane also runs an air taxi service and can tailor a trip to your requirements. Contact us for further details. Here are a few ideas for the air taxi service…
- Western Bays Lake Taupo
- Air taxi to your boat
- Air taxi to secluded beaches for hiking, a romantic picnic or just to relax!
- Lakeland House Restaurant at the Southern end of Lake Taupo
- Lake Rotorua, Tarawera and Tauranga
- Lakes Ohakuri, Whakamaru or Mangakino