Wanaka Scenic Flights – Milford Sound – Mt Aspiring
Southern Alps Air is Wanaka’s only locally owned and operated scenic flight company operating fixed wing.
Our experienced pilots provide a friendly and professional service. During your chosen flight, enjoy a personalized commentary and uninterrupted views from your window seat.
Milford Sound, Mount Cook and Mount Aspiring scenic flights are some of the options available, giving you the opportunity to view huge, untouched vistas of land. All flights include views of glaciers en-route.
Scenic Flights & Fly-Walk-Jetboat Options
- Milford Sound Glacier Flight & Cruise – Enjoy uninterrupted views from window seats of rugged, untouched wilderness en-route to the spectacular Milford Sound. Magnificent views of glaciers, Mt Aspiring, ice, snow, towering mountains, plunging waterfalls, Mitre Peak, wildlife and much more. Informative commentary on flight and 2 hour boat cruise. Experience outstanding views of Milford Sound by Air, Land and Water. Locally owned and operated, Qualmark and Enviro endorsed. Allow 4 hours.
- Milford Sound Scenic Flyover of Brief Landing – short of time, we can take you to see Milford Sound and return to Wanaka in 1hr 30mins. Same flight as above without landing at Milford Sound, or 2 hours return with a brief landing and optional short walk. Scroll down for further Scenic Flight options.
- Siberia Experience – Plane flight 25 minutes, walk 3 hours, jet boat 30 minutes. Experience four hours of unique New Zealand Wilderness Adventure by air, land and water. On this spectacular walk you journey through Mount Aspiring World Heritage National Park and experience nature at its best. Don’t miss New Zealand’s Siberia Valley, visitors describe, feelings of remoteness, tranquillity, excitement, peacefulness, wonder, being at one with nature, – all packed in to only 4 hours of one day. What feelings will you experience?
- Siberia Experience Extended – Fly 50 minutes instead of 25mins and see a lot more of New Zealands Southern Alps and Mt Aspiring National Park enjoy close up views of the spectacular Mt Aspiring and the pristine glaciers that flank the jewel in the Crown of this region, Walk 3 hours, Jet boat 30 minutes as above.
- Blue Pools Nature Experience – Scenic Flight 30mins – Walk 2.5hrs, Jet Boat River Safari – 1 hour. A half day pure New Zealand experience in Mt Aspiring National Park. The flight is slightly longer than the Siberia Experience option, the walk is all flat and much easier and you will love spotting fish in the blue pools off one of the 4 swing bridges you will encounter during the walk, the jetboat safari on the Makarora River is longer and it takes you right down the river to Lake Wanaka “best value for money”.
- Jetboat Makarora – 1 hour Scenic Jetboat Safari through Makarora Valley Be intrigued by the changing landscape as you journey to the mouth of the Makarora River and the headwaters of Lake Wanaka. An area rich in history and vistas. Local Driver, Local Knowledge, Great Value – add on the 2.5hr Blue Pools Track walk for no extra cost.
More Scenic Flight Options
- Mount Cook and Glaciers – Take a breathtaking flight following the Southern Alps to Mount Cook Aoraki, New Zealand’s highest peak. View the world famous Fox Glacier, Franz Josef Glacier and Tasman Glacier.
- Mount Aspiring and Glaciers – View Mount Aspiring Tititea and the heart of Mount Aspiring World Heritage National Park. Mount Aspiring, at 3030 metres high, is often called the Matterhorn of the South. See the Volta Glacier – the longest in the Park and many others as you travel deep into the ancient landscape of the Southern Alps – view ice, snow, waterfalls, rugged mountains plunging valleys, pristine native forest and lots more.
- Scenic Epic – Grand Triangle – Combine Milford Sound, Mount Cook and Mount Aspiring flights. A feast of stunning views not to be missed!
South West New Zealand World Heritage Area
South West New Zealand is one of the most significant wilderness areas of the Southern Hemisphere. Known to Maori as Te Wahipounamu (the place of greenstone), the South West New Zealand World Heritage area includes Aoraki/Mt Cook, Westland/Tai Poutini, Fiordland and Mt Aspiring National Parks, covering 2.6 million hectares.
World Heritage is a global concept that identifies natural and cultural sites of world significance. That is – places so special that protecting them is of concern for all people. Some examples of animals and plants once found on the ancient super continent Gondwana live in the World Heritage Area.