Whakapapa Village accommodation for all budgets, located at the foot of Mt Ruapehu, within 500 meters of Tongariro National Park Whakapapa Visitor Centre.
Skotel Alpine Resort offers guests excellent onsite facilities and a variety of room types; from Backpacker rooms to View rooms of the Tongariro National Park and the volcanic mountain peaks of Ngauruhoe, Tongariro and Ruapehu.
Great accommodation for family reunions, local sporting events, corporate team building and school groups seeking outdoor recreation.
Skotel Alpine Resort is 100% New Zealand owned and operated by passionate locals. We are also New Zealand’s highest hotel, located in the heart of the North Island within the Tongariro National Park.
Tongariro hiking trails start directly from the hotel, and the Sky Waka as well as the Mount Ruapehu ski field are a 6km drive up the mountain.
Whakapapa Ski Area Sightseeing Shuttle
Gondola ride to NZ’s highest café, Meads Wall walk (Lord of the Rings set), Skyline Ridge walk and Waterfall Descent walk (summer season)
Tongariro Alpine Crossing shuttle (summer season)
Whakapapa Ski Field shuttle (winter season)
Whakapapa Hotel Facilities
Whether you are visiting for adventure or just to relax, at Skotel Alpine Resort we offer a full compliment of facilities for you to enjoy.
- Restaurant & Bar – Bar open from 4pm with an extensive bar food menu. Restaurant dining is by reservation, see reception to book a table.
- Mezzanine Lounge – Mums and dads can relax on the couches while their children play with the toys in this welcoming space.
- Sauna – Unwind in our onsite sauna after a long day hiking, biking or on the ski slopes. Open from 2pm to 9pm daily.
- Gym – For the safety of all guests our fitness area is a restricted space. Open from 7am to 9pm daily. Please check at reception for availability and to obtain the key.
- Spa – Our refreshing outdoor spa is available by appointment. 30min sessions cost $5.00 per adult (children free), with a 4 person maximum.
- Edge to Edge Ski & Hiking Hire – The Skotel ski hire department is justly famous for the quality of its gear! Stocking a complete range of skis and boards for all ages and skills, along with hiking gear for summer and clothing for both seasons.
- Games Room – Challenge your friends and family in our games room, complete with Table tennis and Pool table
- Tour Bookings – Our friendly staff can arrange bus and tour bookings as well as provide advice on local activities and walking tracks.
- Shuttle Bus – Shuttle Bus leaves from our doorstep to the Tongariro Alpine Crossing and the ski field daily (weather conditions permitting, see reception to book).
- Free & Unlimited WiFi – Stay connected during your stay with free and unlimited WiFi available for guests.
- Laundry Facilities – The laundry for guests is located next to the carpark entrance. The washing machine and dryer are coin operated and washing powder is available to purchase at reception for a small cost. An iron and ironing board is located in the laundry, as well as in all hotel rooms.
- Luggage storage
- Free outdoor parking
- BBQ facilities
- Outdoor terrace
- Small range of snacks and toiletries available for purchase at reception
- Postal service
Mt Ruapehu Function Venue
Skotel Resort is a great getaway for a destination wedding, significant birthday or wedding anniversary. There are no venue charges and the backdrop for your photographs will be nothing but spectacular.
Guests can stay in house so no drinking and driving and with 12 different room types we have something for everyone. Room rates are group discounted as an added bonus and we can provide buffet meals or sit down meal options to suit most budgets.
No need to book out the hotel at all so if you are looking for a cosy relaxed atmosphere to enjoy with all your friends and family we are the place for you.
Whakapapa Backpacker Facilities
Guests staying in our backpacker accommodation have access to shared facilities including:
- Communal lounge / dining area
- Communal full kitchen
- Communal bathrooms (separate male and female)
- Coin-op laundry
Accommodation at Skotel
At Skotel Alpine Resort we have a range of accommodation to suit all needs and budgets.
Choose from options including hotel accommodation, backpacker’s accommodation (in separately rented rooms) and small cabins.
- Standard Queen Room – Standard Queen Rooms feature a Queen sized bed and an ensuite bathroom with shower.
- Queen Room – Queen rooms offer various view aspects out to the Tongariro National Park and include an outdoor furnished private deck. These heated rooms feature a Queen sized bed and a small ensuite bathroom with shower.
- Superior Queen Room – Enjoy views out over the Tongariro National Park from your floor to ceiling door and window. These rooms feature a King sized bed, ensuite bathroom with shower and an outdoor furnished balcony.
- Ruapehu Room – Enjoy the view diagonally up to Mount Ruapehu from your furnished deck. These rooms feature a Queen sized bed, plus a single bed and an ensuite bathroom with shower.
- Ngauruhoe Room – Wake up to views of Mount Ngauruhoe from your floor to ceiling door and window. These rooms feature a King sized bed, ensuite bathroom with shower over bath or shower only and an outdoor furnished balcony.
- Tongariro Room – Enjoy spectacular views out over the Tongariro National Park from your floor to ceiling door and window. These rooms feature a King sized bed, ensuite bathroom with shower and an outdoor furnished balcony.
- Room 211 – Arguably the best room in the house. With a corner location views can be enjoyed in either direction. This room feature’s a King sized bed, ensuite bathroom with a bath and shower.
- Family Room – Family Rooms are great for 2 adults and 2 children. Located on the lower ground floor these rooms feature a Queen sized bed and a single bunk bed, ensuite bathroom with shower over the bath and an outdoor furnished decks.
- Family Suite – The Family Suite is located on the lower ground floor and walks out on to the Tongariro National Park with views towards Mount Ngauruhoe. Featuring two rooms; the main room with a Queen sized bed and a second bedroom with 2 Queen sized beds and one single bunk bed style above the Queen bed, as well as a large ensuite bathroom with bath and shower and an outdoor furnished deck.
- Cabin – Our back to basics self catering cabins are located down the hill from the main reception and look over the Tongariro National Park with views of Mount Ngauruhoe. These rooms feature a King sized bed in the main area and two single bunk bed sets. In the main area there is a dining setting that walks out to a large deck. Ideal for families.
- Backpacker Double – Backpacker double rooms feature a Queen sized bed, with access to a shared bathroom and communal facilities including lounge and kitchen.
- Backpacker Bunk – Back to basics rooms ideal for singles travelling together. These rooms feature a single sized bed, plus a bunk bed (two singles). Access to a shared bathroom and communal facilities including lounge and kitchen.
- Backpacker Queen with Ensuite – These rooms feature a Queen or double sized bed and a small ensuite bathroom with shower. Access to communal facilities including lounge and kitchen.
- Family Backpacker Room – Back to basics room ideal for a family. This room features 2 Queen beds & a single bed. Shared facilities are available for guests including a bathroom and a communal lounge and kitchen.
- Whanau Backpacker Room – Back to basics room ideal for a large family. With bedding for 7 guests and access to shared facilities including a bathroom and a communal lounge and kitchen.