Hotel & Backpackers Dunedin City
Central to Dunedin, the Leviathan Hotel offers traveler and tourist, convenient, comfortable accommodation, and hospitality at affordable prices.
Whether you’re in Dunedin for business or pleasure – there are plenty of activities on offer around the Leviathan Hotel, with the Leviathan only 5 minutes from the city centre and the Octagon.
The Hotel is close to all major attractions – museums, movies, theatres, galleries, shops, cafes, bars, breweries, Monarch harbour cruises, Taieri Gorge Railway, and coach stations.
Dunedin City Accommodation
We offer a wide selection of accommodation – self-contained units and private facility rooms to budget and backpacker.
Groups can easily be accommodated in Hotel rooms or our Backpacker dorm beds, please request a quote.
Central to Dunedin, the Leviathan Hotel offers traveller and tourist, convenient, comfortable accommodation, and hospitality at affordable prices. We offer a wide selection of accommodation – executive suites with spa bath, self-contained units and private facility rooms to budget and backpacker. All Hotel rooms have private ensuites, free Wi-Fi access, tea and coffee making facilities and flat-screen TV’s with Freeview. All rooms are fully fire sprinkler protected. Quieter rooms overlooking the internal courtyard are available by request. .
- Economy Room: Private room with ensuite, tea/coffee making facilities and Freeview TV. Available in single, double, twin and triple options.
- Standard Room: Private room with ensuite, tea/coffee making facilities and Freeview TV. Generally larger than Economy rooms with more recent refurbishment, some triple rooms have small kitchenettes. Available in single, double, twin and triple options.
- Superior Room: The Superior Rooms are a private room with an ensuite shower, tea/coffee making facilities as well as a flatscreen TV with Freeview. These rooms are suitable for four people with a queen bed and two single beds.
- Suite: The Suites are a private room with an ensuite shower and double spa bath, tea/coffee making facilities as well as a flatscreen TV with Freeview. These rooms are suitable for two people with a queen bed.
- Backpacker Dorm Bunk Bed – Mixed: The Backpacker Dorm Bunk Bed – Mixed has shared bathroom and kitchen facilities. Reservations are for one single bed only; beds are bunks and come with 4 or 8 bed dorms. Please specify what you would prefer at time of booking. We will accommodate requests if possible but not guaranteed. All beds are unmade however there are linen and towels provided.
- The Backpacker Private Twin: Bunk has shared kitchen facilities and a private ensuite shower. These rooms are suitable for two people with a single bunk bed. All beds are unmade however there are linen and towels provided.
- The Backpacker Private Triple: Bunk has shared kitchen facilities and a private ensuite shower. These rooms are suitable for three people with a single bunk bed and a separate single bed. All beds are unmade however there are linen and towels provided.
Leviathan Hotel Guest Facilities
The Leviathan facilities include 24 hour check-in, quiet writing area, laundry, email service, message centre, luggage storage, off-street parking and FreeView TV.
Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the Hotel, including private rooms, dorms and public areas (fair use hourly limits apply). Additionally each guest has the use of our free carparking and luggage storage facilities. We also have in place a cycle storage area, making the Hotel an ideal base for the start or finish of the Otago Rail Trail.
Breakfast is served daily in our dining room, and each night A’ La Carte dining is provided in our House Bar.
Parking and Transport
- Off-street parking .
- 5 min parking directly outside for drop off/pickup.
- Pick up and drop off point for popular wildlife, Larnach Castle, Monarch, and sightseeing tours. All tours can be booked or prearranged by the Leviathan, as can shuttles to the airport.
- Free Wi-Fi Internet Access is available in guest rooms, dorms and public areas (fair use hourly limits apply)
- Mail Service.
- Guest Laundry Facilities.
- Same day dry-cleaning and laundry service.
- Facsimile and direct dial phones.
- Tour booking.
- Cots / Cribs on request.
- Family sized units/ adjoining rooms.
- Wheel chair accessible paraplegic unit and lift.
- Mrs Silk’s Restaurant for groups, licensed and catering for up to 120 guests.
- Lounge / House Bar with large screen television and evening dining facilities.
- Function Rooms, from a small group in our lounge up to 120 in our dining room.
- Available facilities include projector with screen, White Boards, P.A system and TV (60 inch).
- Tour buses and group bookings very welcome at negotiated rates.
- Dorm bed area is a popular choice for school or sports groups.