Farmstay accommodation in the Waitaki Valley, 15 kms east of Kurow, 18 kms west of Duntroon, 60 kms west of Oamaru.
Stay on a South Island, New Zealand high country merino sheep and beef cattle farm spread over 1583 hectares.
Kaye and Keith extend a warm welcome to visitors at their Kurow farmstay accommodation and enjoy providing them with the experience of living with a friendly farming family on a typical New Zealand high country farm.
Enjoy delicious home cooked meals and friendly country hospitality.
(prices quoted in NZ$, subject to change)
Accommodation Kurow New Zealand
- One room with ensuite, double and single bed
- One room with queen double and king single bed
- One room with queen double bed
- One twin room with two single beds
- Electric blankets and heater in rooms
All Meals available.
Dinner Bed and Breakfast from $95 per person.
Bed and Breakfast $65 per person.
Children welcome – please enquire about rates.
THE SHEARERS QUARTERS
Sleeps 12+. Great for families, small groups, etc. All beds are fully made up. Meals available by prior arrangement. Kitchen, shower, toilet, lounge with freeview TV. Please contact us for a full quotation and further information.
Bedroom layouts are as follows:
- One single bedroom
- One room with double and single bed
- One double bedroom
- One Room – sleep 5 (2 single beds, one set bunks with queen double at bottom and single bed at top)
We now have two extra detached rooms with double beds available.
CAMPERVANS: $30 (one or two people) extras $10 pp.
A high country farm of 1583 hectares rising from 300m at the homestead to just under 1200 metres at back of property. We farm merino and half bred sheep and beef cattle.
The homestead and accommodation are set in a peaceful location at end of the valley, no traffic noises or street lights here. A wonderful place to relax or be as active as you wish.
Shearing, mustering, sheep dogs working, feeding lambs etc are seasonal as is all work on a farm, and we cannot guarantee that you will be able to see all of the above at your time of visit but you will certainly get a good insight into the running of the property, together with friendly country hospitality and home cooked meals.
Activities Waitaki Valley
- FARM TOUR: A farm tour in the four wheel drive truck is an opportunity for visitors to learn more about the farm, see where the sheep and cattle graze and experience the beautiful open tussock country and enjoy views ranging from the mountains to the sea.
- FISHING: The Waitaki River and the many smaller rivers in the area are great for fishing – trout mainly and salmon in season. Our local guide provides a wonderful outing for those with experience in fishing and also for those who would like to learn fly fishing. He provides all the gear required, transport and takes his clients to some beautiful places on the rivers. He likes nothing better than to see his clients catch a fish and he is there to help. Full day or half day trips are available.
- MOUNTAIN BIKING: Bring your own bike and enjoy the many tracks on farm. Bikes can often be hired for those who don’t have their own.
- TRAMPING/HIKING: A choice of challenging and easier walks on farm ranging from a five hour circular track to shorter, less strenuous outings. All walks require a little climbing but well worth the effort for the scenery and views. In summer the River walk is very popular topped off with a swim in the river. A great place to take a picnic and a book and relax. Families and adults alike love this option.
- ON ALPS TO OCEAN CYCLE TRAIL: Accommodation and meals for groups large and small. A packed lunch to take away is available by prior arrangement.
We offer a pick up if required and this can be from Kurow or Duntroon.
Please contact us for further information.
NEAR TO: Vanished World Fossil Centre and wetlands at Duntroon, Local Wineries, Golf Course at Kurow, Kurow Heritage and Information Centre.
Take a drive to the hydro lakes. It is only a 15 minute drive to the first lake and a lovely scenic drive takes you over two of the three dams and around the side of the lake. Lovely picnic places, swimming and boating and walkways.
LOCATION: At end of GARDS ROAD – 5KMS off Highway 83. A popular location to do day trips to Mt Cook, Lake Tekapo, Dunedin which are each just a two hour drive. Timaru is 1 hour 20 mins. Oamaru is 45 minutes.
PUBLIC TRANSPORT: Available to Oamaru and Omarama and we can arrange transport to and from either of these places.