Less than an hour’s drive from Dunedin yet seemingly worlds away, Fallow Ridge Retreat beckons with its luxurious 2-person cabin nestled amidst the tussocks, ready for your discovery.
Located amidst rugged hill country farmland, this secluded sanctuary promises serenity, solitude, and uninterrupted tranquility in every direction.
Waikouaiti Luxury Retreat
Fallow Ridge offers an idyllic setting for self-care, rejuvenation, and unwinding. Sink into the comfort of the cosy lounge, where the dancing flames of the sphere fire provide a soothing ambiance. Alternatively, indulge in a private moment of relaxation in your secluded outdoor cedar bathtub, surrounded by breathtaking natural vistas, melting away your stresses as you soak.
This exclusive and custom-designed retreat harmoniously blends natural elements with a rich, atmospheric color scheme to craft a serene and grounding haven. Meticulously planned by architects and thoughtfully curated, revel in luxurious finishes and sumptuous furnishings.
Fallow Ridge Retreat proudly showcases a homage to regional ingredients in its kitchen and indulges guests with premium natural amenities throughout.
Waikouaiti Accommodation Features
- 53sqM suite plus covered outdoor deck
- Open plan kitchen, lounge and bedroom
- Double glazed floor to ceiling windows
- Luxury finishes & furnishings
- Earth and tussock living roof
- Off-grid solar power
- Keyless door entry and contactless check in
- Ceiling suspended sphere gas fire
- Central heating and cooling
- Underfloor heating
- Inbuilt bluetooth audio system
- Automated blinds
- Cosy 2.5 seater couch with chaise
- Suspended gas sphere fire
- Games and books
- Variety of candles and incense for your sensory pleasure
- Yoga mats
- Well equipped kitchen
- 4 burner cooktop
- Bar fridge
- Small chest freezer with ice
- Basic pantry essentials
- Sheltered deck
- Outdoor couch and coffee table
- Private cedar bathtub
- Weber BBQ
- Picnic rug
- Yoga mats
- Hanging egg chair
Included In Your Stay at Fallow Ridge Retreat
Our kitchen has all you will need to prepare a culinary feast, plus there is a Weber BBQ on the deck for the classic kiwi sizzle up! To make your stay as relaxed and as comfortable as possible we suggest packing your favourite food and drinks, however you can make the most of our small minibar or platter options below.
- Breakfast – fresh baked bread and pastries, granola, yogurt, rhubarb compote, honey & jams plus a fresh seasonal fruit platter.
- Freshly ground coffee from Strictly Coffee, a selection of herbal teas from Harney’s Tea, deluxe hot chocolates from West Coast Cocoa Merchants, plus milk and orange juice.
- Stays of 3 nights or more also receive bacon, fresh farm eggs, and bagels.
- Basic pantry supplies: olive oil, salt & pepper, spices, balsamic vinegar & sauces.
The Fallow Ridge Grazer
Enjoy a relaxed lunch or dinner with this two-person antipasto platter, filled with the finest local fare from our region including cheeses, pickles and chutney, honeycomb, cured meats, fruit, crackers and more.
The Fallow Ridge Celebrator
The perfect combination of goodies to help celebrate a special occasion. A chilled bottle of bubbles, chocolates, a mini chocolate cake plus a medium size antipasto platter are yours to enjoy.
These can be ordered when booking, or via email up to 48 hours before your stay. Please let us know if you have any food allergies.
Waikouaiti is our nearest town, just 15 minutes down the road on SH1. The beautiful Waikouaiti Beach is a must visit, it stretches between two headlands, Cornish Head to the north where you can visit the oldest farm buildings in New Zealand at Matanaka Historic Farm, and to the south Huriawa Peninsula, a historic Maori pa site.
In the main street you’ll find good food and coffee, a history museum, and quirky shops selling modern and vintage homeware. There is even a golf course!
Mt Watkins is a 1436ha rolling hill country farm dissected by the Waikouaiti River. Its home to approximately 4000 Romdale Ewes and 300 Angus Cattle. The farm is a mix of rolling paddock country, tussock blocks and steep river faces, with many beautiful natural features including pockets of NZ native trees, creeks, the North Branch of the Waikouaiti River and the Mt Watkins Wetland.
Fallow Ridge Retreat is carefully tucked into the hillside with a living earth and tussock roof. The exterior is wrapped in NZ larch and locally milled macrocarpa provides detailed elements in the interior. The retreat is completly off grid and solar powered. The surrounding landscape is raw and wild – dominated by silver tussocks and shist rock outcrops. We have a strong environmental ethos and the retreat is designed for the eco-conscious traveller without compromising on style, luxury, or comfort.