Escape the crowds to the subtropical climate of the Winterless North. Known for white sandy beaches, lush forest parks, unique attractions and accommodation, Northland is the perfect place for a winter retreat.
Northland offers a variety of activities and attractions to enjoy during the winter months. While it might not be as cold as some other regions during winter, you can still find plenty of things to do.
One of the advantages of visiting Northland during the winter is that there are fewer tourists compared to the peak summer season. This means you can enjoy the attractions and activities without the large crowds.
Things to do in Northland in Winter
- Beach Walks: Northland’s beaches are beautiful year-round. While swimming might not be ideal in winter, taking long walks along the shores, enjoying the stunning coastal views, and collecting shells can be a relaxing and scenic experience.
- Cultural Sites: Northland is rich in Maori and European history. You can visit places like the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, where the Treaty of Waitangi was signed in 1840, to learn about the history and culture of New Zealand.
- Whale and Dolphin Watching: The winter months can be a great time to spot whales and dolphins off the coast of Northland. There are various boat tours available that offer the chance to see these majestic marine animals in their natural habitat.
- Cape Reinga: Winter is an excellent time to visit Cape Reinga, the northernmost point of New Zealand. The views are breathtaking, and you can see the point where the Tasman Sea and Pacific Ocean meet.
- Forest Walks and Hikes: Northland has lush forests that are perfect for exploring. Trails like the Waipoua Forest offer beautiful scenery and a chance to see ancient kauri trees.
- Museum Visits: If you’re interested in learning more about the region’s history and culture, you can visit museums like The Kauri Museum in Matakohe or see kiwi and other wildlife at Kiwi North Heritage Park in Whangarei.
- Hot Springs: There are hot springs in Northland where you can relax and unwind, such as the Ngawha Springs. They can be particularly enjoyable during the cooler winter months.
- Local Markets: Northland hosts various local markets where you can find fresh produce, arts and crafts, and unique souvenirs.
- Wine Tasting: Northland is known for its vineyards and wineries. You can spend a day exploring the wine region, tasting local wines, and enjoying the vineyard scenery.
- Fishing: Fishing is a popular activity in Northland year-round. In winter, you can try your hand at beach fishing, freshwater fishing, or even join a fishing charter for a more guided experience.
- Photography: The winter light can create stunning photography opportunities, especially during sunrise and sunset. Capture the landscapes, beaches, and unique cultural sites.
- Discover the Hokianga – Hokianga’s peaceful and scenic environment makes it an ideal place for relaxation and rejuvenation. Enjoy the tranquil atmosphere and take time to unwind. Enjoy the stunning views of the harbour, sand dunes, and the Tasman Sea. You can take a harbour cruise, or simply relax by the water’s edge.
- Enjoy the Bay of Islands – A popular tourist destination known for its stunning natural beauty, turquoise waters, and numerous islands this region often visited during the warmer months, yet can still offer a unique and enjoyable experience during the winter season.
- HeadsUp Adventures is Northland’s most diverse mountain bike park and home to New Zealand’s first and ONLY monster scooters, also offering authentic forest paintball and a funky cafe on the hill with the best views in town. They are the perfect venue for a staff function, hens or stag party, birthday party, team-building day or even weddings.
- Discover Dargaville’s rich history and surrounds on a fantastic rail carting tour! Experience this fascinating Northland river town in the comfort and control of a converted self-drive golf cart. Cruise the historic unused railway line between Dargaville and Tangowahine for a relaxing and entertaining adventure along the historic Northern Wairoa River.
- Tour New Zealand’s most beautiful harbour – Whangaroa Harbour Water Transport lets you enjoy the scenic Whangaroa Harbour. Hop on a frequent boat tour and enjoy entertaining and informative narration live from a professional skipper. On your tour you will see secluded beaches, tall cliffs and lush green foliage that make the harbour one of the most beautiful in the world.
BOOK DIRECT for the best deals.