Taupo’s Floatplane offers a range of Floatplane tours over New Zealand's World Heritage Tongariro National Park (including Mount Ruapehu), Volcanic Plateau, Lake Taupo, the many sparkling lakes of Rotorua and White Island - with vistas so breathtaking they will never be forgotten.
Enjoy spectacular scenic flights in a high wing Cessna 206 Floatplane and enjoy unrestricted views looking down on beautiful Lake Taupo and the snow-capped mountains (volcanoes!) of Tongariro National Park.
Floatplane scenic flights are a magical way to experience and gain a true perspective of the stunning Lake Taupo Region, and the sensation of taking off from and landing on the water is a memory you will never forget.
Don't miss your opportunity to enjoy this unique flying experience!
Taupo Package Deals
(prices quoted in NZ$, subject to change)
Taupo Trifecta (Minimum of 2 adults, Allow 3 hours, 15 minutes. Age restrictions apply )
- Orakei Korako
- Jet Boat
Price: NZD$ 525.00 (Adult).
Take off from the Taupo bay tracking North over the Boat Harbour and past the Craters of the Moon. Fly over farmland and forests, over hills that were once active volcanoes before descending into the Hidden Valley of Orakei Korako.
Landing on the Waikato River we tie up to a floating jetty. After walking around this geothermal paradise for approximately one hour, board the black jet boat of New Zealand RiverJet. Travel through canyons and scenery otherwise inaccessible and experience the famous jet boat spin. At the end of your jet boat journey you will be met by your floatplane for your scenic return flight.
Fly n Fish - (allow 3 hours). Start with a private (exclusive) relaxing 2 hour cruise with Chris Jolly Boats, on beautiful Lake Taupo. View the Maori Rock Carvings at Mine Bay while enjoying a cup of tea and light snack. You may even want to drop a line in the water and test your fishing skills against the infamous Lake Taupo Trout. Have you experienced a float plane before? Well on completion of your boating Trip a float plane will land beside your boat to pick you up. The float plane will take you on a 20 minute scenic flight via the Huka Falls, Wairakei Geothermal area and along the mighty Waikato River to land on the water of Great Lake Taupo at Taupo’s Floatplane Base to complete your journey (fishing license not included). Price: NZ$700.00 (Adult).
Thinking of something different to celebrate a special occasion? How about a unique marriage proposal or wedding transportation? Interestingly enough Taupo’s Floatplane has had these requests in the past and have had the pleasure of being a part of many special events.
Please contact us to discuss some options as to what special surprise you have in mind and Taupo’s Floatplane can help with the arrangements.
So far there have been numerous marriage proposals, romantic secluded picnics on the lake, transportation of the bride to the wedding venue, and birthday surprises just to name a few happy and memorable occasions.
Taupo’s Floatplane offers a range of scenic flights over various points of interest around the vibrant Taupo and National Park region. Please see the various packages available where you can include activities and attractions to your scenic flight and truly experience all that Taupo has to offer.
Taupo’s Floatplane can even drop you and your partner off on a secluded beach for an hour or two of hiking, beach combing or simply just relaxing. Don’t forget those special occasions either – there have been spectacular marriage proposals using Taupo’s Floatplane services!!
Turangi pick ups - Turangi clients requiring pick up by Floatplane at the southern end of the lake (for the Mt Ruapehu Vista Flight): we require a minimum of three fares. Flights will depart from the Motuoapa Marina or Braxmere Lodge (weather dependant) and the flight time is approximately 45 minutes.
Valid from 1st October 2016 – 31st March 2018
- A Taste of Taupo - Includes a take off from Taupo Bay, turning over Acacia Bay to the headwaters of the Waikato River to the Craters of the Moon. Then over the Borefields of the Wairakei Power station, following the maze of pipe work to the power station itself, followed by a circuit of the Huka Falls, over Taupo to land on the lakefront. Price: NZD$109.00 (Adult), NZD$ 54.50 (Child)*, NZD$315.00 (Family)**(flight time aprox 10 mins).
- A Peek at The Lake - Take off from the waters of Taupo Bay, past Acacia Bay to Rangatira Point viewing the crystal clear waters of Whakaipo and Mine Bay. Fly up through the Mapara Valley to view red scoria quarries before passing over the headwaters of the mighty Waikato River. See the bubbling mud and steaming vents of the mysterious “Craters of the Moon” thermal area and onto the bore fields of the Wairakei Power station, following the maze of pipe work to the power station. The finale - an aerial circuit of the magnificent Huka Falls, over Taupo’s town, and coming in to land along Taupo’s lakefront. Price: NZD$160.00 (Adult), NZD$80.00 (Child)* NZD$ 480.00 (Family)** (flight time aprox 20 mins).
- Western Bay Explorer - There is no faster or better way to explore New Zealand’s largest Lake. This trip takes you to the most secluded and picturesque part of Lake Taupo, otherwise inaccessible by car. Be amazed by the crystal clear water and towering volcanic cliffs of the western Bays. Before flying back to Taupo via the Wairakei steam field and Huka Falls. A minimum of two adult fares are required. Price: NZD$240.00 (Adult), NZD$ 120.00 (Child)*, NZD$720.00 (Family)** (Flight time: 30 minutes).
- Orakei Korako - Take off from Taupo Bay, past Acacia Bay, Rangatira Point, viewing the crystal clear waters of Whakaipo Bay. Turning North fly past the Craters of the Moon, over farmland and forests, through hills that were once active volcanoes, before commencing our descent into the Hidden Valley of Orakei Korako. Landing on the Waikato River we tie up to a floating jetty. A walk through this geothermal paradise takes approximately one hour. On the return flight view the Huka Falls and the town before landing along the lakefront. Allow 2 Hours 15min. (Flight time 30 minutes Approx.). Price: NZD$345.00 (Adult), NZD$172.50 (Child)*, NZD$ 1035.00 (Family)**
- Mt Ruapehu Vista - Departing from Taupo Bay, we head south to overfly Turangi, Mount Pihanga, Lake Rotoaira, the Blue and Emerald Lakes and the Tama Lakes to the summit of Mount Ruapehu. A circuit of the summit allows you to view the Crater Lake and the ski fields on the slopes of Mount Ruapehu. Continuing our journey, now northward, we travel to Mount Ngauruhoe to view the centre of this classic volcano. We fly over Mount Tongariro to view the Red Crater, the Blue Lake and old lava flows before we begin our descent over Lake Taupo to land along the lakefront. Price: NZD$ 415.00 (Adult), NZD$207.50 (Child)*, NZD$1245.00 (Family)** (flight time aprox 60 mins).
- Lakes of Rotorua - Head North towards the lakes of Rotorua, overflying the Green and Blue Lakes, buried village and Lake Tarawera before climbing to the summit of Mount Tarawera viewing the massive fissure formed during the 1886 eruption. On the way home wonder at the sacred waters of Wai-O-Tapu and Orakei Korako geothermal areas. We offer you the option of a landing to take a walk around the silica terraces, steaming geysers and boiling mud pools of Orakei Korako before continuing back to Taupo. Added extra (Orakei Korako) is $105.00 per adult (50 minutes Approx.). Price: NZD$390.00(Adult), NZD$195.00 (Child)*, NZD$1170.00 (Family)** (flight time aprox 60 mins)
- White Island - Taupo’s Floatplane “White Island” scenic flight departs from the shores of Taupo flying over the Ohaaki Power Station to Mount Tarawera exploring the gapping gash left by the eruption in 1886 killing 108 people. The flight then continues past Mt Edgecumbe out over the coast of the Bay of Plenty region to New Zealand’s most active volcano - White Island. The flight then returns via the lakes of Rotorua and its city. Fly over the hidden valley of Orakei Korako with the option of landing here for a one hour walk through this geothermal paradise (extra $105.00 p.p.), before returning via the steamy “Craters of the Moon” geothermal area and Huka Falls to land along the Taupo Lakefront. Price: NZD$ 830.00(Adult), NZD$ 415.00, (Child)*, NZD $2400.00 (Family)**(Flight time: 2 hours)
- Fly n Raft - (allow 6.5 hours). 20 minute Floatplane transfer aboard Taupo’s Floatplane. Full white water rafting. Experience with Tongariro River Rafting. Grade Three whitewater makes this one of the most popular rafting trips for both expert and novice rafters alike. The Tongariro River is one of New Zealand’s most famous rivers and one of the worlds best trout rivers. Between the paddling and excitement you’ll see ancient beech forests, darting rainbow trout, rare whistling blue duck and plenty more. This is a very special wilderness environment. Road transport back to Taupo. Minimum numbers required. Price: NZD$ 330.00(Adult), NZD$ 165.00, (Child)*, NZD $990.00 (Family)**. Departs from Taupo’s Floatplane Office. Winter 11.20 am, Summer 1.15 pm.
MINIMUM OF 2 ADULT FARES ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL FLIGHTS - CHILDREN 5-15 YEARS OF AGE ARE HALF PRICE - 4 YEARS AND UNDER ARE FREE - ALL FLIGHTS ARE WEATHER DEPENDENT - BOOKING IS RECOMMENDED
All Prices are inclusive of GST
*Child rates apply for children 5-15 years. Under 5 FOC
** Family includes two adults and two/ three children
Taupo’s Floatplane also runs an air taxi service and can tailor a trip to your requirements. Contact us for further details. Here are a few ideas for the air taxi service…
- Western Bays Lake Taupo
- Air taxi to your boat
- Air taxi to secluded beaches for hiking, a romantic picnic or just to relax!
- Lakeland House Restaurant at the Southern end of Lake Taupo
- Lake Rotorua, Tarawera and Tauranga
- Lakes Ohakuri, Whakamaru or Mangakino
Phone: +64 7 378 7500
Fax: +64 7 377 0843
Web: Visit website
If you would like to enquire to more than one company all at the same time then go to our Travel Planner
Our Travel Planner provides a fantastic way to make enquiries to lots of Tourism companies all at once so you don't have to fill out a heap of forms just to get a quote