Ben Lomond Horse Treks, Queenstown
Feel the freedom and exhilaration of seeing some of the beautiful untouched corners of New Zealand on horseback.
Only a 15km drive away from Queenstown, next to Moke Lake and hidden within the mountains of the Ben Lomond Station, you will find the many horses of Ben Lomond Horse Treks waiting to take you for a ride.
We provide unforgettable horse riding experiences for all ages and levels. With the best mountain views and friendly guides that know their way around the area. Soak up some of the beautiful untouched New Zealand landscape on horseback and breathe in the fresh mountain air. You will surely have the time of your life.
Queenstown Horse Treks
At Ben Lomond Horse Treks we provide treks suitable for all levels of experience. We make sure that we choose the right horse for every rider. The shortest trek takes you on a 1.5 hour wander through the beautiful valley of the Ben Lomond Station. For a more adventurous ride you can choose to climb the mountains up to 200 meters above the valley floor, and make your way back through historical gold mining country.
We are operational for trekking between October & May. We are closed over winter.
Moke Lake Trek - Duration 1.5 hours
This valley trek runs through a beautiful working farm and is perfect for beginners, young riders and families. You will cross clear blue creeks, while being surrounded by impressive mountain views. The Moke Lake Trek is a mainly walking trek, but can be adjusted to fit the needs of more experienced riders.
Gills Creek Trek - Duration 2 hours
The Gills Creek Trek travels you deeper into the valley towards Old Gold Mining Country. This trek suits beginners, but is also perfect for experienced riders who do not have the time to do any of the longer treks. The light climbs and many river crossings make it an exciting ride, right up till the finish around the edges of Moke Lake.
McConnochies Trek - Duration 2.5 – 3 hours
This is a climbing trek heading up the mountain on the Moonlight Track, with amazing views from around 200 meters above the valley floor. Then descending back down into the valley and winding your way home through the canyon while passing through much of the historical gold prospector’s areas. You will see many signs of the old gold workings. With many river crossings along the return this makes it the perfect trek for those hot summer days! McConnochies is an ideal trek for more advanced riders.
- We can take children as young as 5 years old. For children under six years we recommend a walking guide.
- Turn your trek into a private trek for an additional $30pp
- We provide complimentary pick ups and drop offs from central Queenstown.
- When planning your trek allow an additional 1.5 hours for transport, registration, introductions to your horse and riding demonstration.
Before You Leave
- Make sure you wear long pants and covered shoes (riding boots or shoes, walking shoes, gym type shoes or light hiking boots)
- Bring a jacket and sunscreen
- On hot days we also recommend a light weight long-sleeve shirt to prevent sunburn
- For the longer treks (2.5hrs) bring your water bottle and some snacks
- Don’t forget your camera
Ben Lomond Horse Treks, Queenstown Enquiry Form
Moke Lake Rd
Phone: +64 204 236 566 (International)
Freephone: within NZ: 0800 236 566
Web: Visit website