Holidays in Wellington NZ
New Zealand’s capital city is an exciting destination for a weekend break or a full on holiday. Check out places to stay and things to do in Wellington.
Wellington New Zealand
Our capital city is a must to visit for both Kiwi’s and international travellers. The buzz and hype of the city is great, with the many bars and restaurants within walking distance of each other.
Stay at one of the many city hotels and backpackers. Or choose from a selection of quality self contained apartments which allow you to self cater and save some cash. For those who prefer home comforts, a bed & breakfast lodge is ideal.
Wellington is a large city, but most major attractions are condensed into an area which allows visitors to easily get from one place to another. The public transport system is very efficient so you can take a bus to almost anywhere.
Suggested points of interest for visitors to Wellington are:
- Te Papa Museum - New Zealand's innovative and interactive national museum, is set in a breathtaking location on Wellington’s beautiful waterfront.
- Wellington Cable Car - One of the city’s oldest and most popular attractions. Enjoy stunning views and photo opportunities over the city and harbour. The cable car is at the entrance of Wellington’s botanic gardens.
- Zealandia – Home to some of the rarest and most extraordinary wildlife on the planet, Zealandia is New Zealand's award-winning eco-attraction
- Walk Wellington – Guided walking tours of the city. Get the inside story on Wellington's history, culture and landscape from a local guide who goes beyond what's in the guidebooks.
- Hammonds Scenic Tours – Daily tours of Wellington City and Coastline Tour; Kapiti Nature, Coast, History Tour; Palliser Bay Scenery with some Lord of the Rings Sites Tour and a Martinborough Wine Tour.
- The Cook Strait Ferries – In just over 3 hours, you can take one of the vehicle and passenger ferries to Picton in the South Island. Stay a while and return back to Wellington, to continue your adventure in the South Island.
- Wellington Nightlife – Courtney Place is the go
with a selection of bars and restaurants. The food is amazing and the
atmosphere is second to none!
- Mt Victoria Lookout - Weave the windy roads to the top of Mt Victoria for stunning views of the city, suburbs, harbour and airport.
Wellington is an awesome place to visit! Find more visitor attractions and accommodation options here.